Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's just me

I'm finally doing it. I'm a journalist and an educator and I keep telling myself I need to jump on the multi-media bandwagon and start blogging. I'm doing it for a number of reasons...all probably very silly. Here we go!

First it's for my family. I have two precious daughters. A friend of mine started blogging and telling about her kid's doctors appointments, milestones, etc and it was a neat way for her family to follow along the joys of motherhood. I'd like to do the same, but I'm not quite as nice as Erin. I tend to get a little moody and frankly I'm afraid I'll post something I'd later regret. So this may be a trial and error thing. I do want to share the joys of raising my girls. They are both incredible! I am just in love, love, love with them.

Starling is almost 7 and she is changing every day. She's gone from this high-strung little girl to a very mature and high maintenance first grader. It's been an interesting change this year. More on her later....

Ginny Grace is almost 3 and she is a whirl wind of fun. She's talking a lot now and we've become consumed with potty training and independence. Our days are mandated by her wants and behavior. It's fun!

I have the most patient man on Earth as a husband. He's not so sure about this blog thing, but we'll see how it goes. He's a sports nut at heart and hates writing, so I seriously doubt you'll see his penmanship here. Bless his heart, he deals with a household full of girls every day. There's the wife (me), 2 daughters, a precious lab named Miss Leddie and the newest edition...a quite cat named Clara. He doesn't stand a chance. He's learned all about the color pink, hair bows, Hannah Montana and can tell you the name of every Disney Princess. Ryano is a good guy.

Second it's for my hobby. I'm trying to get a non-profit off of the ground and I'm struggling with a number of things. It's a bereavement organization dedicated to my father, who died when I was 8 years old. I'll talk about the challenges and goals of getting that started. It's in the early stages, but I am thrilled at what we're trying to do. More to come about the Mike Starling Foundation.

Third it's just for me. As a journalist, I am constantly writing and grading...sometimes I feel like I'm consumed by it. I love my job. I am a teacher at the U of A and it's been by the grace of God I'm in a classroom I love. I enjoy writing, but I am a terrible editor. I am afraid I'll look back at this in embarrassment and see the mistakes I'll make in grammar and punctuation. Just don't tell my co-workers.



No comments:

Post a Comment