Monday, May 2, 2011

A Jeep & The Memory of Mike

There is a window from my childhood I don't remember.  It was tragic and sad.  My father died suddenly when I was 8 and I guess his death was such a dark time for me that forgetting was a way for me to just move past it.  I don't remember a lot about him, mostly what I do is from family and friends telling me; but over Easter weekend, I had a vibrant memory from my childhood awaken within me that helped me remember something extremely special I had shared with my father. 
         I was able to see it through my own children.  It all happened with a Jeep.

My father was an outdoorsman.  Not just the kind that occasionally hunted or fished.  It was a way of life for him.  My mom says he would take off for camp...weeks at a time.  He didn't spend Thanksgiving with the family.  He spent it at Starling Camp. 

He anticipated deer season, turkey season, muzzle loader season, bow season...you name it...he knew when it was.  There are three distinct smells I recall from him: 1. diesel fuel 2. pine trees and 3. the smell of gun powder.  He drove 2 prized rides: a white Ford pick-up truck and a 1976 burgundy Jeep.

Daddy passed away in 1986. 

My mother gave the jeep to my uncle Roy shortly after daddy died and thankfully he kept it in excellent condition. 

Last Saturday while we were down visiting over the Easter holiday, my girls were playing outside with Roy when he offerred to take them for a ride in the jeep.  I didn't think anything of it at first.  Roy walked over to the shop, started the jeep and drove it out for us to see.  It took my breathe away.  I hadn't seen it in that condition since daddy had been alive.  He had gotten new tires on it, recovered the seats and had replaced the top and doors.  My girls rushed over and hopped in with huge smiles on their faces. 

One of my best memories of my dad, was riding in that jeep with him...just the two of us...no top on or doors...he was wearing an old black cap with his crazy hair curling up out from under the cap (that looks exactly like my sister's today)...and a black work shirt and dirty jeans.  We were headed into town on the highway just passed mammaw's house.  As we came around the curve into Sally White's house, his cap flew into the air out into the pasture.  I thought that was just hilarious as a 7 year old!  He stopped the jeep and ran out into the field to fetch the cap. 

As I saw my girls ride away with smiles on their faces with Roy behind the wheel last weekend, I felt my father watching us.  His spirit was with us that day.  He was happy we were sharing this part of him with my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment